Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Taking Off the Mask

Hi all,

How do you respond to the prompt of vulnerability?  Do you cringe at the mention? Does your heart start to quicken? Do your pits start to sweat?  This is what happened to me this week while I was driving to my -bold moment-.  Lately, I've being going through a weird season, where I'm struggling to stay present in all of my meaningful, day-to-day activities.  Things kind of just feel...blah.  Can you relate to this season?  Things were coming to a head on a particular day, and I knew I just wasn't doing ok.  I had spoken to my pastor that morning and knew he would be hanging out at a location where I was going to meet my husband later.  I thought it would be a wise decision to go early and talk things through with him.  



But on my drive over, I noticed I became increasingly anxious.  Was it really a good idea to spill my guts to someone? Was it going to be safe to take off my mask and show who I really was in that moment?  I knew it would be safe, but all of my fears of rejection came flooding to the forefront.  When I saw my pastor and began to share what I was feeling, he welcomed me with open arms, and even empathized with my current state of being.  We laughed and shared stories of different phases of our past life.  What a release of freedom to know that even when I'm acting like my true self I am still enjoyable to be around. 



What did I learn from this? 
1.  Fear is a liar: I wasn't driving to meet my fate of rejection.  I was met by a genuine acceptance that doesn't only desire people who are ok all of the time.  
2.  Being vulnerable is hard, but worth the battle.  It's hard be who you really are when some people aren't ready to accept who your true self is.  Find people who want to pursue authenticity. 
I challenge you to have a moment of genuine vulnerability this week, even if the person you have that moment with is yourself.

Be blessed,
Amanda



PS- looking for more blogs about vulnerablility?
Check out http://www.dawnserra.com/blog/being-vulnerable-moving-towards-fear/

3 comments:

  1. I was able to read all of your blog posts and they are all so inspiring! I especially love this one, I think it is so important for everyone to "take off the mask", as you said, and be your true self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard the expression of "taking your mask off." Interesting way of looking at a situation where you need too talk.

    ReplyDelete