Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Got Keys?

Hey all,

My husband and I recently purchased a pass that allows you to get a free donut at participating stores during the month of February.  This is very exciting for us since we were on a sugar fast during the month of January.  This past weekend, we woke up eager and early to make a trip to get some free donuts before we went to church.  

We walked out the door and my husband yelled "oh no!"  We didn't have any keys with us and our door automatically locks when you shut it.  Not only did we not have house keys, we didn't have car keys either.  We called our landlord and he couldn't come rescue us for another hour.  Morning RUINED!  My husband went around the back of the house to see if he could manage to break in. As I sat on our stairs in distress, I was overcome with anger that my plans were ruined and I had no control in changing the outcome of the situation.  I normally would have tried to ease my discomfort by distracting myself with my phone and then probably saying some not so nice things to my husband.  This time was different.  I chose to step outside of myself and realize that the only thing I controlled in this situation was my reaction.  I put my phone down, closed my eyes and tried to figure out if there was something I could learn from this situation.  

I decided I wasn't so powerless after all, and suggested to my husband that we walk down the street to grab some breakfast.  I realized that it's ok not to control every-little-thing, and to accept the freedom that comes with going with the flow.  Im so grateful I chose to be powerful in a positive way, instead of powerless in a negative way.  I hope you find a moment in your week where you choose to shift your thinking from powerless to powerful.


Until next time,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I have heard that expression before. You can't control the situation, but you can control your reaction.

    ReplyDelete