Hi all,
I recently started a new book on the sexualization of young women for a class I'm taking. This is kind of an odd topic to be reading about, because I am going to school to pursue a career as a Reading Specialist. Nevertheless, I am grateful to have encountered this topic, because I work with young girls in multiple different capacities. This particular book I read was very disturbing, and didn't hold anything back. This was my first experience learning about this topic, and I will admit, I had never thought about the idea of young girls being sexualized before picking up this book.
This book not only affected me because of my work with young girls, but it also affected me on a personal level. I felt betrayed after reading this book, because I, too, had believed the lies that are described in this book. Lies that explain how the media tells young girls that they need to dress a certain way, look a certain way and be a certain weight in order to be liked by boys.
I needed to report to the class my reactions on the book. I was nervous to share that I was one of the girls affected by "The Lolita Effect." I feared that I would be the only one in the room that felt this way, even though I knew that couldn't be true. I chose to ignore the lies my fears were telling me, and I shared openly about the betrayal I felt. No one in the room reacted, no one nodded their head in agreement. Oh well.
After leaving class, I reflected on the things I shared and something big stood out to me: I acted like my true self. Regardless of how anyone thought about the things I shared, I was genuine and honest with myself and with others. There was a sense of freedom that came from being vulnerable without letting other's thoughts hinder me. I hope to continue in this freedom, and I hope you all walk in the same freedom.
Be blessed,
Amanda
PS- I highly recommend this book if you are a parent or work with children. Here is a link to how you can buy it.
https://www.amazon.com/Lolita-Effect-Media-Sexualization-Young/dp/1590200632

I would not be surprised that people agreed, but didn't have the nerve to say, I have felt that way too. I grew up in the days of Twiggy... I remember my husband wanting me to weigh 110, when when I weighed 115. After 45 years of marriage and 30 more pounds, I asked him a couple of months ago.."Don't you wish I weighed 115?" We just laughed...we've both grown up.
ReplyDelete